Friday, August 21, 2009

Our (Gullo)ible Experience

Can we return to a time where people honored their word? A time when a code of ethics ruled, and a sense of honor and dignity prevailed? I suppose not, as every time we stick our hands out for a handshake and believe we are doing so on an agreed set of rules and understandings, we later learn that the other party was just smiling back at us thinking "suckers!" I honestly hope that my wife and I do not change our hope that there are still some good people out there, but over the years one can only take so many hits before we become so cynical of everyone that we simply have to believe everyone is out to rip you off and if you don't take that attitude towards them, they will get the better of you. I just don't want to become that person.

This is all related to our latest experience a few weeks ago at Gullo Mazda. As you may have read if my other blog relating to our wonderful GM Malibu Maxx, we were anxious to get out of this. Now my wife is an avid researcher so we, as quickly as we could, began our hunt for some foreign cars. We landed at Gullo Mazda to test drive a few cars to see what we were interested in. We test drove a few Toyota's (these two dealerships are side-by-side) and an older Sienna which the price seemed nice and we could pay cash for it and not have to finance anything. We left for the day and did a bit more research and everything we could find pointed us to the decision that the van was a good price as well as a Mazda 6 that was being advertised at another dealship far far away. So going back to Gullo, who is not that far, a few days later, we test drove a comperable Mazda 6 and began negotiations on it as we wanted something a bit newer than the van was offering. During this process, we learned that our Pontiac Sunfire was trading at a price higher than we both expected and decided that trading both our cars in for a paid for Toyota van and a financed used Mazda 6 was our best opportunity to get out of both of these cars and use that leverage of buying two vehicles from the same dealership the same day for a better price.

We were told by our salesman that the van being a 2000 model with 113K miles on it only qualified for a "30 day/1000 mile Gullo Guarentee" and because we were buying on site and signing that night, we were ensured that they have looked over the vehicle and that we could take it to our mechanic if we decided to and have it looked at for any issues that may not have been seen that evening as they didn't want us to leave without first signing the bottom line. So with those "promises" in place and us being gullible in believing that they would honor their word we purchased both vehicles and drove home giddy.

On the second day of ownership, we had our opportunity to drop off the van with our mechanic and he determined that we needed the following:
  • New timing belt which also required a new water pump per Toyota standards.
  • The power steering pump had fluids on it indicating that it was leaking.
  • Valve cover was leaking oil.
  • Radiator hoses were dry rotting.
All of which we would not know needed to be replaced and was the main reason we negotiated this prior to sale that we would have the opportunity to have this looked at our mechanic (Total repairs ~2,000.00). Obviously, if these items were known, they would have been requested fixed PRIOR to sale, but we had our assurances! Not only that, but we being the kind of people we are, sunk in 1,500.00 to get the Malibu up to snuff before we would sell it. We are just ethical that way. It seems Gullo doesn't have the same standard. They told us their mechanics had looked it over...either he lied or their mechanics are incompetant. I don't mind paying a higher price for the van, just don't sell me something and then I have thousands to spend in unexpected repair bills.

So I call our salesman up only to get a voicemail in which I leave a message on Friday morning. We call throughout the day to no avail and I finally ask the receptionist if he is in and was told that he is probably with a customer at the moment. Saturday morning and still no return call. So I call for the manager, and again was forced to leave a message. Again we call throughout the day and again, only voicemails. We did later learn that the salesman left a message on our home phone Saturday morning, and explained "...we have customers that have mechanics check out the vehicle before they purchase them, uah, so you know, basically we really don't feel responsible for any of that stuff..."

Once I received that message late Saturday afternoon, I first called for our salesman and yet again, voicemail. This time I am not giving up until I speak with someone. So after 5 calls to the operator who first disconnected me, then transfered me to the salesman's voicemail and then the manager's voicemail before I could finish my request, and finally told her bluntly that I want to speak to a person in charge now and will not stop calling until I get a live person to speak with. Also, we were already in the car and decided to make a personal visit if we have too. Finally, she is able to get the used car manager on the line (the one who also worked with our salesman) and I explained the situation. I was told that there is no 30 day/1000 mile Gullo Guarentee on vehicles over 100K and that the salesman just misspoke when he offered that too us during our purchase. Oh that's just dandy and BS! He also stated that mechanics like to drum up business and that their people would have to look at it first. So we had an understanding that the van would be dropped off that Monday morning for a review of what our mechanic found.

So we call around 4:00 Monday afternoon as we have heard nothing from Gullo about the van. I call and leave yet another voicemail with the manager as we need to know when we might get this back as we are now functioning on one car. Again, no call backs and again I am forced to call them to get the service department who tells us that they see no problems with the power steering pump. The one item that I could possibly hold their feet to the fire as this was a safty issue. We already had to pay a grand for the radiator hoses and timing belt as we knew that they wouldn't cover that as part of their "gotcha" campaign. They did want to keep the van another day to ensure that it isn't leaking.

Tuesday afternoon comes around and again no calls from Gullo. I call the service department first to get a guy who knows nothing about this van and was transferred to the manager only to again get a voicemail. I leave a message.

Wednesday is now here and you guessed it, no call back from my message left inquiring about a status. I again call the service department and I am pretty pissed at this point. I was told that the power steering pump is fine and that there is only "seapage" on the valve cover...certainly nothing that they would deem to be an issue. Of coarse that would be their response. He also gave me the name of a lady who deals with these types of customer issues. But guess what!....I am forced to leave another voicemail. So I explain as best I could and through gritted teeth my situation. Graciously, she calls back within the hour after speaking with the used car manager and we are told that they are keeping the van until the new rearview mirror is in as part of our original agreement...only we were told on the voicemail from the salesman last Saturday, that it would be the following Monday before the mirror comes in. So I explained my issues with the lack of communication and that we would never leave our van there for over a week while waiting for a freakin' mirror. She offers us a loaner while we wait on that issue.

So during our lunch on Wednesday, we drive down there to get the loaner car. Both the salesman and the manager ignore us completely and we get the loaner from another saleslady who knew nothing of our situation. Being there for a third time now, I am really mad at this point as they have no business and are never too busy to answer their phones....they just simply do answer them.

The very next morning, we get a call from our salesman that our van is ready to be picked up. WTF? If we knew it was going to be the next damn morning, we would have waited. So during Thursday's lunch we drive down their to get our van with all the known issues that they refuse to repair and we part our ways.

Only the battery fries after my wife turned the car off and is stranded in a rain storm looking for a jump. I call the salesman as I am more than certain that this incident would fall under the "30 day Gullo Guarantee" as this wasn't a preexisting issue....the guy actually answers his phone for the first time in over a week! Hmm...I have to wonder if he thought we were gone for good and he could now pick up the receiver. I asked him about this and his response was "I don't know what you want me to do about it." I asked, "So you're telling me that we are stuck with this now?" His reply, "Well yes, you are!" I bitched him a thank you and hung up on him.

I left another message with the customer relations lady, and to no surprise, no call back. Soooo, we are now left to word of mouth and internet reviews that will hopefully steer others from this company. We do like the van and our beef was never about the purchase, it was about them selling under lies and false beliefs that they ACTUALLY looked over the car and ensured it was in top shape for sell as we did with our Malibu. There were no known issues remaining on the Malibu; however, these issues with the van were known to Gullo and they didn't owe up to them.

Sad to know people still shake hands with you while their other hand is robbing you blind! Life lesson learned....again.

2 comments:

  1. Damn.. that sucks.. Before we purchased our Suburban we had a mechanic go to the dealership and look it over. I did not know you were buying a used car or I would have given you his name.
    Hope you like the Mazda 6. I got mine from Munday... we went to Gullo and did not like the salesmen, plus Munday helped us out a lot when we were sold a lemon by Goodson Honda. Long story but they basically fixed it and got Goodson to pay for it! Later Goodson asked us to pay them back.... yeah right, I told them where to stick it.
    There is no honor or trust with car dealers. I hope you can get the van fixed. Ill bet we could fix a few of those things, give me a call, I don't pretend to be a mechanic, but I have replaced a few hoses and pumps in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We bought a used Bonneville from Lawrence Marshall while Keith was in vet school and it had a brake issue right after we bought it. They had a pre-sale inspection deal, and I said there was no way this car would have passed their "inspection" with this brake problem. They agreed and paid for the repair (about $200). I was quite impressed with their ethics. Unfortunately I think they went out of business earlier this year as either a victim of Obama or the economy.

    ReplyDelete